Infectious Disease Information for Families
The Plains Independent School District follows specific policies and protocols for students, faculty, and staff who may potentially come into contact with any infectious diseases. In response to specific infectious diseases, we may ask new students enrolling in our district or students traveling or who may have relatives traveling from regions known to have been affected by a contagious disease to respond to health related questions. We will continue to work closely with local, state, and federal public health authorities (we have links below to information for all levels of agencies) to continue to monitor new developments related to infectious diseases.
We are committed to keeping our community informed and will make every effort to share information with our students, staff, parents, and the greater community. With the change in the season comes the increased risk for infectious diseases of all kinds. In accordance with recommended precautions during cold and flu season, please speak with your children about the importance of practicing good hygiene. General tips that are helpful in dealing with infectious diseases:
- Avoid close contact with anyone who may be ill.
- Wash your hands with soap and water often.
- Do not share food or drinks with others.
- Cough and sneeze into your elbow.
- Use hand sanitizers and avoid touching your face with your hands.
- Clean and disinfect surfaces.
- Remain at home if ill or experiencing any symptoms of illness.
- Remain home for at least 24 hours after any fever is gone.
The District takes all matters related to illness seriously and, with your help, we can limit the spread of infectious disease within our community. If you have any questions, concerns, or information you might believe to be helpful, please do not hesitate to contact us.